[A fore note: I decided to headline this post partially with the exact title of this highly offensive tract. I want to hit the top of the search engines and maybe get some readers that are looking to “Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do” as an authoritative piece. I know it is offensive, but busting the myths is the intent of the series. I care about truth.]
Last week, a friend handed me a brochure titled “Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do” which her daughter got from an information counter at a local Christian school in my city, Reno. The sixteen year old girl had gone to the school to drive one of the students home and saw the stack, nicely spread out on a table in full view. She skimmed the tract and took the entire stack outside, put all but two in the trash and gave them to her lesbian Mom; one was intended for me.
“Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do” was delivered to me with the message “Kathy, do something about this.” I have been friends with the Mom and daughter for about ten years. Mom is not a fan of Christianity or Christians; they have offended her, judged her and questioned her ability to be an adequate mother to her daughter. She is an excellent Mom; I have been around them plenty. And now, with documentation in hand, Mom had more evidence as to how crazy, judgmental, deceptive and hateful we Christians are.
Surely no thinking person would ever consider this information true, timely or worthy of placing on a K-8 information counter. Surely. It must be some leftover tract found in a dusty school file cabinet that someone put it on the counter to get rid of. The document was produced by Family Research Institute (FRI), (not to be confused with the Family Research Council), Washington, DC and dated 1993. I actually thought about writing the incident off, but my friend, already so maligned by Christians, deserved an answer.
I never expected to find out that “Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do” is not only still in print, but widely, and I do mean widely used and quoted. Family Research Institute was founded in 1982 by Paul Cameron, oh, excuse me, Doctor Paul Cameron. The original name of the organization was Institute for Scientific Investigation of Sexuality and it is now based in Colorado Springs, CO. Tack the words “Scientific” or “Family” onto an organization name and it sounds legit, right?
Wrong. The American Psychological Association dropped Mr. Cameron in 1983 for ethical violations and later, in 1986, the American Sociological Association passed a resolution condemning his research work. Although the mission statement for FRI is “…to restore a world where marriage is upheld and honored, where children are nurtured and protected, and where homosexuality is not taught and accepted, but instead is discouraged and rejected at every level”, the agenda of FRI is a thinly coated “pro-family” and severely anti-gay message. So anti-gay, in fact, that any thinking person would clearly see it as hatred. The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) certainly sees FRI’s work as hatred. FRI scored a spot on the (un)prestigious SPLC “Hate Groups” list in 2010.
And there was this simple little pamphlet sitting on the information counter at my area local K-8 Christian school.
Let’s get Mr. Cameron’s work placed in context of the 1990’s and the newly burgeoning homophobia. Before this, Christians were not gay-loving, but we certainly were not gay-hating. It only took a few key players to refocus the American and religious community eyes onto the then vacant spot with which our anti-communism fears had once been so consumed. Eric Hoffer in 1951 had written in True Believers: “Hatred is the most accessible and comprehensive of all unifying agents. Mass movements can rise and spread without belief in a God, but never without belief in a devil. Usually the strength of the mass movement is proportionate to the vividness and tangibility of its devil.”
In the early 1990’s, The Moral Majority, Christian Coalition groups and religious leaders, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell had discovered the money-raising tactics of demonizing the gay and lesbian community, the new “devil”. All the ills of the church and society, heck, all the ills of the world were laid at the foot of the rainbow flag. Need money for a campaign? Blame the gays. Need more bucks in the collection plate? Blame the gays. Need the empathy of donors? Tell of the dreadful gay agenda that will destroy the American family, the churches and worst of all, the soon-to-be-recruited children. It absolutely brought in money to religious based groups and it absolutely was based in lies and manipulations. None of this is speculation; it is all well documented and on record in multitudes of insider accounts.
Onto this scene comes the crazy, non-scientific, non-Biblical, completely biased lies, many of which were created by Mr. Paul Cameron of the Family Research Institute. His “research” and “facts” are still being told over and over and used as proof by other “Christian family” groups and churches (American Family Association, The Family Research Council , the Illinois Family Association, Americans for Truth About Homosexuality, Concerned Women for America, Coral Ridge Ministries.) Created in deception in the 90’s and still being purported as truth today.
And there was this simple little pamphlet sitting on the information counter at my area local K-8 Christian school.
I was tempted when I first saw “Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do” to dismiss this fool and his work. I wondered, come on, does anyone really still pay attention to this guy? Oh my. He is a “the-gays-are-destroying-all-that-is good” rockstar. He is plying his brand of nasty in other countries and to “family” organizations in the US. We have already witnessed the damaged that one loose American pastor cannon, Scott Lively, armed with homophobic “facts” and “Biblical truth” did in Uganda. Mr. Cameron has been speaking in Russia, Poland, Moldavia, and who knows where else this past year. Here are two samples of his recent bad ambassador trips.
A further simple google search for only 2010 lead me to a vast number of sites and organizations that post, quote, link and publish in full Mr. Cameron’s work and deem it as scholarly and scientific. These groups include: pro-family groups in multitudes of countries, ProLifeBlog, The Road to Emmaus, countless churches in many denominations in the US and worldwide, Aryan Nation/White Supremacist groups, people running for political offices in the US, Life & Liberty Ministries, BibleBelievers.com, and American Family Association, The Family Research Council , the Illinois Family Association, Americans for Truth About Homosexuality, Concerned Women for America and Coral Ridge Ministries. The craziness keeps getting published over and over. Cameron is a man discredited by his professional organizations, is clearly bigoted and his work has been discredited for over 15 years. Yet, it is Christian groups, for the most part, that keep it circulating. Cut and paste excerpts, quote and link and it all becomes truth. Despicable.
“Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do” can be purchased today on the FRI website for $35 for 100 pieces. My thought that it was some old tract sitting around in a dusty file cabinet . . . no. And do not forget, when you visit the FRI site to click and add to your Shopping cart some other popular titles: “Violence and Homosexuality”, “What Causes Homosexual Desires”, and not-to-be-missed “Child Molestation and Homosexuals”. All $35 for 100. Perhaps an early Easter basket gift for the kids at your local Christian school? The information in this brochure is, by my estimation, pornography. Not because it has anything to do with gay people, but because of the incredibly insensitive subject matter. This “bearing false witness” has become part of the new “heterosexual agenda” since the 90’s. I want NO part of it.
Okay, finally, here are the highlights of “Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do” which I will take the time to blog about point by point over the next few days. Because so many people still believe these points as fact, I think it is extremely important to bust these myths wide open. Here at home, in places like Uganda and in places where Mr. Cameron has and is spreading his poison. As you read it, remember, this is being presented as scientific fact today. If you were to read this as truth, you cannot wonder why there are people who continue to see gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people as “abominations” and “broken”. Here goes, get ready to be offended and remember, this is all over websites throughout the world and was on the information counter at a local K-8 Christian school. The tract is broken down into sections:
- Homosexual Activities–an overview with percentages of participation of gay people in various activities in numerous countries and time periods. These include: oral/penile sex, anal/penile sex, urine sex, fisting, toys fisting, feces eating (yeah, you read that right), enemas, torture sex, public and orgy sex and sex with minors. (This will be an interesting post. Not for the genteel or sensible, but sure good for shock value when you want to make GLBT people into a freak show and the target of hatred and fear. )
- Oral sex and the “fact” that almost all homosexuals “verge on consuming raw human blood”. Delightful, Paul.
- Rectal sex with carrots, bottles and even gerbils. Yup, gerbils. I even heard Mr. Cameron say it in a talk in a 2010 video. Not one case has ever been documented for either hetero or homosexual people, but talking about it sure does work up a crowd. The expected awe and gasping is far preferable to the dull truth.
- Fecal sex. Hey, did you know that 80% of gays “admit” to ingesting “medically significant accounts of feces”? Are there gay people that do participate in “rimming”? Yes. And do heterosexual people participate in unusual anal sex as well? Yes. The bulk of my gay friends reading would have the same reaction as most heterosexual people: “EWWWW!” Yet, it has become a solid ratchet-up-the-disgust-for-the-gays tools for so many “family-loving” guys. Ugandans love this one; thank you Scott Lively, Martin Ssempa and David Bahati.
- Urine sex. The only people I ever read that discuss “urine sex” are anti-gay people. Do heterosexual and homosexual people participate in “golden showers”? Yes. Shockingly, Mr. Cameron found that almost one in four gay men like to get peed on. Now I do not know about you, but the bulk of my gay friends are the neatest, cleanest males I know. They do not even like scuffed shoes and crumpled pants. Just sayin’.
- Other sexual practices if the above hasn’t made you already run from every gay person. Torture and sadomasochism are included here. Now heterosexuals never do that one, by golly. Dr. Paul also informs us that fully one in four gay men have had sex with children. Since this is the most offensive of all the myths, I look forward to burying this one. For once and for all. Bury it. The recurring they-will-recruit-your-children-and-make-them-gay thing, MUST stop.
- The medical consequences of homosexual sex and the effects on lifespan. Did you know less than 2% of gay men make it to “old age”? And they are 116 times more likely to be murdered and 18 times more likely to die in car accidents. Could I possibly make this stuff up?
- The “gay legacy” of AIDS will destroy most gay people.
- The “biological swap meet” of saliva, urine, feces, blood across country borders will be exported by this “drunken and high” uber-traveling population.
- Watch out for “the pattern of infection” of not only HIV/AIDS, but scarlet fever too (which, by the way, is not a sexually transmitted disease.)
- “Genuine compassion” must be shown to this group of people who are “troubled people engaging in dangerous activities”.
So . . . . what do you think? Do you think no one would ever listen to Dr. Paul? They do. He is asked to speak, he is quoted as an authority, a scientist and an expert. You can find his paper “Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do” all over the internet AND on a K-8 school information counter. Too many people actually believe this as truth. This is dangerous stuff. This divides families and churches, this alienates people, this kills others, this poisons the minds of those that think they are “protecting the family”. This is utter deception and demonization and completely non-Christian.
This little brochure, that I almost wrote off as utter, ineffective nonsense still has a hold in many places. I will be blogging about each point over the next few days. Then, when someone repeats one of these stupid statistics out of ignorance, as scientific fact or from hate and fear, there will be a resource to refute it.
And, will I be contacting XYZ Christian School in Reno, Nevada about the information they made available to children? You bet I will. No child should ever read “Medical Consequences of What Homosexuals Do” and no adult should ever believe it. And no gay or trans person should ever be saddled with these lies.
I’ll be linking the various posts here as I write them.
Excuse me now, I need to go shower. Mr. Cameron’s treatise is not only a pack of lies, it is pretty dang disgusting.