Canyonwalker Connections produced an online audio seminar series following the format and information from Walking the Bridgeless Canyon to help train and educate LGBT people, their families, and allies.
The 6 part webinar series is hosted by Kathy Baldock, with Yvette Schneider, former policy analyst for Family Research Council, and head of Women’s Ministries at Exodus International.
Week 1. Same-sex behavior and homosexuality in history and in the culture
- Early understanding of same-sex behavior
- The “discovery” of heterosexuality and homosexuality
- How did heterosexuality become the “good” sex?
- Historical terms about same-sex attracted people and the link to views on women
- How did homosexuality come to be understood as a mental illness?
- The beginnings of reparative, or change therapy
Week 2. Religion and Politics
- Gays in the American culture from the 1940s to the 1960s
- The roots of Fundamentalism
- The need to galvanize unregistered blocs of Fundamentalists in the mid-1970s
- Conservative voters and gay activists rise in response to actions by Anita Bryant
- The AIDS crisis in the 1980s and the response of the American public and Christian church
Week 3. Science
- What is sex?
- What is intersex?
- Understanding gender
- Understanding transgender
- The science of sexual orientation
- “Gay sex” — so, do the parts “fit”?
Week 4. Same-sex behavior in the Bible
- Leviticus 18 and 20
- Romans 1
- 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy
- Deuteronomy 22:5
- Civil marriage and biblical marriage
Week 5. LGBT Christians and their allies
- Trying to “fix” gay Christians and the rise of the Exodus-type ministries
- Mixed orientation marriage where one spouse is straight and one is gay
- The beginnings of the gay Christian movement
Week 6. How best to become an ally or help create safe places for those coming out
- The first studies on LGBT youth did not begin until the early 1990s
- How best to help your LGBT child as they come out
- Helping to create safe places for LGBT youth and adults in churches
The webinar series is hosted here.
Copies of Yvette’s book Never Not Broken are available on Amazon.