Canyonwalker Connections produced an online audio seminar series following the format and information from Walking the Bridgeless Canyon to help train and educate LGBT people, their families, and allies.
The feedback on this series has been extremely positive!
The 6 part webinar series is hosted by Kathy Baldock, with Yvette Schneider, former policy analyst for Family Research Council, and head of Women’s Ministries at Exodus International.
Week 1. Same-sex behavior and homosexuality in history and in the culture
- Early understanding of same-sex behavior
- The “discovery” of heterosexuality and homosexuality
- How did heterosexuality become the “good” sex?
- Historical terms about same-sex attracted people and the link to views on women
- How did homosexuality come to be understood as a mental illness?
- The beginnings of reparative, or change therapy
Week 2. Gays in the American culture from the 1940s to the 1960s
- This has been one of our most popular segments. It is rich in history, stories and fascinating facts you’ve likely never heard about. We focus on the life and oppression of the gay and transgender communities in the American culture from the 1940s to the 1960s.
Week 4. The Beginning of AIDS & Sex, Gender and Sexual Orientation
- The Beginning of AIDS in the early 1900s
- What is sex?
- What is intersex?
- Understanding gender
- Understanding transgender
- The science of sexual orientation
Week 5. Same-sex behavior in the Bible
- Leviticus 18 and 20
- Romans 1
- 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy
- Deuteronomy 22:5
- Civil marriage and biblical marriage
Week 6. Bringing it all together
- Trying to “fix” gay Christians and the rise of the Exodus-type ministries
- Mixed orientation marriage where one spouse is straight and one is gay
- The call for celibacy for LGBT people by some religious parties
- The first studies on LGBT youth did not begin until the early 1990s
- How best to help your LGBT child as they come out
- Helping to create safe places for LGBT youth and adults in churches
The webinar series is hosted here.
Copies of Yvette’s book Never Not Broken are available on Amazon.