Untangling the Mess: Separating the Truth and Mistruths about What it Means to Be LGBT and Christian is being presented on Saturday, January 23rd by Kathy Baldock at the Saguaro Hotel Ballroom in Desert Springs, CA from 6 pm till 9 pm.
The presentation is an ideal opportunity to understand the intersection of faith and sexual orientation and gender identity. Whether you are in the fully affirming camp, still investigating and seeking to understand the issue, or even one who holds a traditional view of homosexuality and the Bible, you are welcome to attend.
Here is the Facebook event page for RSVP.
Kathy is the author of “Walking the Bridgeless Canyon”(2014), a well-researched and highly accessible history of the cultural and religious discrimination in America. She is the Executive Director of Canyonwalker Connections and serves on the Advisory Board of The Gay Christian Network and the Board of The Reformation Project.
Here’s the general outline for the free session:
1st Hour: Same-sex behavior and homosexuality in history and in the culture
- Early understanding of same-sex behavior
- The “discovery” of heterosexuality and homosexuality
- How did heterosexuality become the “good” sex?
- Historical terms about same-sex attracted people and the link to views on women
- How did homosexuality come to be understood as a mental illness?
- The beginnings of reparative, or change therapy
- Gays in the American culture from the 1940s to the 1960s
2nd Hour: Religion and Politics
- The roots of Fundamentalism
- The need to galvanize unregistered blocs of Fundamentalists in the mid-1970s
- Conservative voters and gay activists rise in response to actions by Anita Bryant
- The AIDS crisis in the 1980s and the response of the American public and Christian church
- What is sex?
- What is intersex?
- Understanding gender
- Understanding transgender
- The science of sexual orientation
3rd Hour: Same-sex behavior in the Bible
- Leviticus 18 and 20
- Romans 1
- 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy
- Deuteronomy 22:5
- Civil marriage and biblical marriage
LGBT Christians and their allies (briefly)
- Trying to “fix” gay Christians and the rise of the Exodus-type ministries
- Mixed orientation marriage where one spouse is straight and one is gay
- The beginnings of the gay Christian movement
QUESTIONS are welcome in each segment and at the end of the presentation.