Untangling the Mess: Separating the Truth and Mistruths about What it Means to Be LGBT and Christian is being presented on Saturday, October 17th by Kathy Baldock and Yvette Cantu Schneider at Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, 4641 Marconi Avenue, Sacramento, CA from 10 am till 4 pm.
The presentation is an ideal opportunity to understand the intersection of faith and sexual orientation and gender identity. Whether you are in the fully affirming camp, still investigating and seeking to understand the issue, or even one who holds a traditional view of homosexuality and the Bible, you are welcome to attend.
Kathy is the author of “Walking the Bridgeless Canyon”(2014), a well-researched and highly accessible history of the cultural and religious discrimination in America. She is the Executive Director of Canyonwalker Connections and serves on the Advisory Board of The Gay Christian Network and the Board of The Reformation Project.
Yvette Cantu Schneider is the National Director for Policy and Advocacy for Canyonwalker Connections. Schneider was a former policy analyst and speaker for the Family Research Council, and was the head of Women’s Ministry at Exodus International.
Here’s the general outline for the free 10 am till 4 pm session:
1st Hour: Same-sex behavior and homosexuality in history and in the culture
- Early understanding of same-sex behavior
- The “discovery” of heterosexuality and homosexuality
- How did heterosexuality become the “good” sex?
- Historical terms about same-sex attracted people and the link to views on women
- How did homosexuality come to be understood as a mental illness?
- The beginnings of reparative, or change therapy
- Gays in the American culture from the 1940s to the 1960s
- The roots of Fundamentalism
- The need to galvanize unregistered blocs of Fundamentalists in the mid-1970s
- Conservative voters and gay activists rise in response to actions by Anita Bryant
- The AIDS crisis in the 1980s and the response of the American public and Christian church
3rd Hour: Science
- What is sex?
- What is intersex?
- Understanding gender
- Understanding transgender
- The science of sexual orientation
- “Gay sex” — so, do the parts “fit”?
4th Hour: Same-sex behavior in the Bible
- Leviticus 18 and 20
- Romans 1
- 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy
- Deuteronomy 22:5
- Civil marriage and biblical marriage
5th Hour: LGBT Christians and their allies
- Trying to “fix” gay Christians and the rise of the Exodus-type ministries
- Mixed orientation marriage where one spouse is straight and one is gay
- The beginnings of the gay Christian movement
QUESTIONS are welcome in each segment and at the end of the presentation.
Please join us Saturday, October 17th at Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, 4641 Marconi Avenue, Sacramento, CA from 10 am till 4 pm.